As parents, we want our kids to always stay safe at school, right? Well… Of course! Back to
school can be a nerve-wracking time for so many reasons as we constantly worry if our kids got
there safely, got to the bus stop safely, etc. Even though we will still worry, we can have peace
of mind after teaching them very important back-to-school safety tips.
Mornings are rough. You’re shoving breakfast in the kid’s mouths as you run out the door. One
kid has one shoe, the other has pajama pants on, you spilled coffee on your shirt. Your spouse
or dog snored all night and you’re ready to go back to bed when you arrive home tonight. You
just keep rushing because if you don’t, you’ll be late. Okay, first thing’s first… SLOW DOWN.
When you’re in a hurry, you’re more likely to make a mistake.
Take a deep breath and learn to enjoy these chaotic mornings with these safety tips.
Safety Tips for Drivers
● Drivers should be aware of children walking to school or to the bus stop.
Everyone can follow a few safety tips to help kids get to school safely.
● When backing out of the driveway, watch for children walking to school or to a
● On streets without crossing guards, watch out for children trying to cross the
● Be careful on streets without sidewalks or streets with on-street parking. It might
be hard to notice a child behind a car.
● Be alert. Children may dart into the street without looking.
● Slow down. Children and their safety matter more than you being late for work.
● Children should only walk to school alone if they are old enough and ready to
make the walk safely.
● Children are not ready to walk to school without an adult until they are at least 10
● Younger kids cannot be trusted to make smart traffic choices on their own.
● Plan and practice a safe walking route with your child until she knows it well.
● Use streets with sidewalks, crosswalks, and crossing guards. Avoid as many
intersections as possible.
● Have children walk with a friend or in a group.
● Talk to your child about what to do if they are approached by a stranger.
School Bus Safety Tips
● Children riding the bus to school should learn and practice a few safety rules for
getting on and off the bus.
● Get to the bus stop early. Do not run to the bus.
● Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before walking toward it.
● If crossing the street, wait for a signal from the bus driver. Look both ways to
make sure there is no moving traffic from either direction.
● Always cross in front of the bus so the driver can see you.
● If the bus has lap and shoulder belts, use them.
● Once the bus is in motion, remain in your seat.
● If the window is open, keep your arms and head inside the bus at all times.
● Do not stand up to get off the bus until it has completely stopped.
● Only get off the bus at your assigned spot.
In the comments, tell us how you got to school each morning when you were a kid. Did
you ride a bike? Walk? Catch a bus? Carpool? Do parents drive you?
I hope you found these back-to-school safety tips helpful!